Saturday, May 24, 2008

Origins

The origin story of any superhero is a critical part of their legacy. Skunk-Guy’s story is no less important. Like many of the hero’s before him his tale has gone through many incarnations. I have had thirty years to tinker with it and it has been a creative challenge to find just the right scenario.
I toyed with the idea of Norman being sprayed by a radio active skunk. (A great idea, but too similar to someone else’s story.) Then there was the brilliant flash I had, about morphing with a skunk during a space-alien abduction. (Too gruesome, remember the Fly.) I plotted out the whole course of putting Norman and the earth in the middle of an intergalactic war. (Way too complicated.) I finally settled for simplicity.
Now the histories of all of the main stream superheroes have some trauma motivating them to do the deed and right the wrong, Spider-man loses his uncle, Batman lost his parents and Superman had his entire home planet obliterated. None of these tragedies would fit with a character called The Stinking Stalker.
Instead I opted for a theme utilized many years earlier, before Superman made his appearance. That of the lanky dreamer so filled with stories of knights in shining armor, that he mounts his own steed with lance in hand, in order to do battle with an army of windmills. Yes, the theme has been done before, but not of recent memory, at least not to any great effect.
Take this basic idea and move it into a domestic setting, introduce a few simple sci-fi elements and you have the formula for "Norman & The Stinking Space Goo". The official origin story of Skunk-Guy: The Stinking Stalker.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your story! I know you wrote it for boys mainly, but my friends and I(which we are all girls)loved it! I am definately going to recommend your story to my friends. I have wanted to become a writer, and ever since you came to my school(Central Lutheran in New Haven,IN)I have been inspited. I am excited to read your second and third books. I love reading about Norman's life as a "superhero".Thanks for writing this book!

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the book is when Norman's first mission is to help his sister. Thank you for visting our school (Central Lutheran) and sharing your story on how you got the idea for the book. I am looking forward to reading more on Norman and how he will use his powers to help others. Garrett Bricker